Professor, Head of Centre for High Resolution Electron Microscopy, ShanghaiTech University
2003: Friendship Award, State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs of the P.R. China.
2007: The Donald W Breck Award, International Zeolite Association
2008: Humboldt Research Award, Alexander von Humboldt Found.
2010: Honorary Member of Scandinavian Electron Microscopy Society
2014: Honorary Member of Japan Association of Zeolite
1961: Yamagata East High School, with Honor.
1965: Dept of Phys, Faculty of Science, Tohoku Univ, B.Sc. with Honor.
1967: Graduate course, Dept of Physics, Tohoku University, M.Sc.
1982: Doctor of Science, Tohoku University, 28th April.
1967 – 1994 Assist Prof, Dept of Phys, Faculty of Science, Tohoku Univ.
1994 – 2002 Assoc. Prof., Head of the Microstructure Physics, Dept of Phys., Tohoku Univ.
1996 – 2001 Research Director, Core Research for Evolutional Science & Technology (CREST), Japan Science & Technology Corporation (JST).
2002 – 2003 Prof, Dept. Phys, Graduate School of Science, Tohoku Univ.
2003 – 2010 Professor, Head of Structural Chemistry, Arrhenius Lab., Stockholm University.
2009 – 2013 Invited Guest Professor of WCU Programme, Graduate School of EEWS, KAIST, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
2014-2017 Guest Professor of Brain Korea 21 Plus (BK21 Plus) program, Graduate School of EEWS, KAIST, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
2014 - 2017 Visiting Professor, University of California, Berkeley, CA94720, USA
Osamu Terasaki (OT) was born in Yamaguchi (next neighbour of Hiroshima), Japan in 1943 during the World War II and grew up in Yamagata before moving to Sendai to attend University where he graduated from the Physics Department of Tohoku University. He studied magnetism at the Department for his Master's entitled “Magnetic study of Co2Mn2C ”. Immediately after receiving his Master degree, OT became a faculty member in the Department and worked for 37 years (an assistant prof, 1967-, associate prof, 1994- and prof, 2002-2003). During the period, he spent for one and a half years at Cambridge University (Sir John Meurig Thomas) as a Royal Society Guest Research Fellow and for four months as a Guest Prof of NFR at Lund University Sweden (Profs Jan-Olov Bovin & Sten Andersson), and studied fine structures of zeolites. Just before joining Cambridge University, he got the title, Doctor of Science (DSc), on “Studies of ordered structures and incommensurability in Au-based alloys”.
OT was selected as one of the first Research Directors of Core Research for Evolutional Science & Technology, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) for his project “New Arrayed Clusters in Microporous Materials: Syntheses, Structures and Physical Properties” (1995).
OT applied to the position, Professor of Structural Chemistry, Stockholm University (Closing March 30th, 2001). Formally he resigned from Prof., Dept of Phys., Tohoku University and took the position from April 1st, 2003. It took quite long time to move including successive appeals for the decisions at each level, it was worth for waiting. He has really enjoyed a life at new environments and learned enormously in science as well as social. He is currently has been working at Stockholm University, KAIST Korea, UC Berkeley USA and ShanghaiTech China. Especially he is currently working hard to set up an active EM centre (CħEM ) at ShanghaiTech and to create open and fair scientific atmosphere.
OT’s research interest lies generally in scattering, diffraction, imaging using electrons and X-ray (photons). These approaches will fit well for studying structural details of nano- complex materials and accumulation details of adsorbates within pores during gas- adsorption process, and also for observing kinetic/reaction process directly in an atomic scale.
OT has received the Friendship Award from P.R. China (2003), the Donald W. Breck Award from International Zeolite Association (2007) and Humboldt-Research Award from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (2008) and the Magnolia Award from Shaghai Municipal People's Government (2018). He is an honorary member of Scandinavian Electron Microscopy Society (SCANDEM) and Japan Association of Zeolite (JAZ) since 2010 and 2014, respectively.
OT has over 450 publications and average citations per item is 76 times. His h-index is 83 (as of 2018.10.08, from Google Scholar).
- Ordered nanoporous arrays of carbon supporting high dispersions of platinum nanoparticles., SH Joo, SJ Choi, I Oh, J Kwak, Z Liu, O Terasaki, R Ryoo, Nature 412 (6843), 169 2530 2001
- Synthesis of new, nanoporous carbon with hexagonally ordered mesostructure, S Jun, SH Joo, R Ryoo, M Kruk, M Jaroniec, Z Liu, T Ohsuna, O Terasaki, Journal of the American Chemical Society 122 (43), 10712-10713 2362 2000
- Novel mesoporous materials with a uniform distribution of organic groups and inorganic oxide in their frameworks, S Inagaki, S Guan, Y Fukushima, T Ohsuna, O Terasaki, Journal of the American Chemical Society 121 (41), 9611-9614 1661 1999
- An ordered mesoporous organosilica hybrid material with a crystal-like wall structure, S Inagaki, S Guan, T Ohsuna, O Terasaki, Nature 416 (6878), 304 1294 2002
- Stable single-unit-cell nanosheets of zeolite MFI as active and long-lived catalysts, M Choi, K Na, J Kim, Y Sakamoto, O Terasaki, R Ryoo, Nature 461 (7261), 246 1182 2009
- Microstructural optimization of a zeolite membrane for organic vapor separation, Z Lai, G Bonilla, I Diaz, JG Nery, K Sujaoti, MA Amat, E Kokkoli, Science 300 (5618), 456-460 951 2003
- Direct imaging of the pores and cages of three-dimensional mesoporous materials, Y Sakamoto, M Kaneda, O Terasaki, DY Zhao, JM Kim, G Stucky, HJ Shin, Nature 408 (6811), 449 881 2000
- Large-pore apertures in a series of metal-organic frameworks, H Deng, S Grunder, KE Cordova, C Valente, H Furukawa, M Hmadeh, Science 336 (6084), 1018-1023 878 2012
- Synthesis and characterization of chiral mesoporous silica, S Che, Z Liu, T Ohsuna, K Sakamoto, O Terasaki, T Tatsumi, Nature 429 (6989), 281 654 2004
- Structure of the microporous titanosilicate ETS-10, MW Anderson, O Terasaki, T Ohsuna, A Philippou, SP MacKay, A Ferreira, Nature 367 (6461), 347 566 1994
- A novel anionic surfactant templating route for synthesizing mesoporous silica with unique structure, S Che, AE Garcia-Bennett, T Yokoi, K Sakamoto, H Kunieda, O Terasaki, Nature materials 2 (12), 801 540 2003
- Cubic hybrid organic− inorganic mesoporous crystal with a decaoctahedral shape, S Guan, S Inagaki, T Ohsuna, O Terasaki, Journal of the American Chemical Society 122 (23), 5660-5661 406 2000
- Ultra-stable nanoparticles of CdSe revealed from mass spectrometry, A Kasuya, R Sivamohan, YA Barnakov, IM Dmitruk, T Nirasawa, Nature materials 3 (2), 99 399 2004
- Structural study of mesoporous MCM-48 and carbon networks synthesized in the spaces of MCM-48 by electron crystallograph, M Kaneda, T Tsubakiyama, A Carlsson, Y Sakamoto, T Ohsuna, The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 106 (6), 1256-1266 380 2002
- Ordered mesoporous silica with large cage-like pores: structural identification and pore connectivity design by controlling the synthesis temperature and time, JR Matos, M Kruk, LP Mercuri, M Jaroniec, L Zhao, T Kamiyama, Journal of the American Chemical Society 125 (3), 821-829 360 2003
- Periodic arrangement of silica nanospheres assisted by amino acids, T Yokoi, Y Sakamoto, O Terasaki, Y Kubota, T Okubo, T Tatsumi, Journal of the American Chemical Society 128 (42), 13664-13665 355 2006
- Tailoring the pore structure of SBA-16 silica molecular sieve through the use of copolymer blends and control of synthesis temperature and time, TW Kim, R Ryoo, M Kruk, KP Gierszal, M Jaroniec, S Kamiya, O Terasaki, The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 108 (31), 11480-11489 341 2004
- Determination of pore size and pore wall structure of MCM-41 by using nitrogen adsorption, transmission electron microscopy, and X-ray diffraction, M Kruk, M Jaroniec, Y Sakamoto, O Terasaki, R Ryoo, CH Ko, The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 104 (2), 292-301 338 2000
- Synthesis of self-pillared zeolite nanosheets by repetitive branching, X Zhang, D Liu, D Xu, S Asahina, KA Cychosz, KV Agrawal, Y Al Wahedi, Science 336 (6089), 1684-1687 329 2012
- Ordered mesoporous Pd/silica− carbon as a highly active heterogeneous catalyst for coupling reaction of chlorobenzene in aqueous media, Y Wan, H Wang, Q Zhao, M Klingstedt, O Terasaki, D Zhao, Journal of the American Chemical Society 131 (12), 4541-4550